Pages

Slider

Sunday, May 25, 2014

How to Take Stunning Dance Recital Photos at Home

It's Dance Recital Time! 

Time to take a posed photo of your dancer with their arms over their head in 5th position and feet in 1st position in front of your house...NOT!

Capturing your cutie in their tutu or costume can be such a blast!



1.  Find a good background.  Normally I would head right outside as I prefer natural light, but it was pretty cold outside (even though it is May!).  In these photos, we are inside our local high school.  I decided to take our photos the day of the dress rehearsal because there would be much less people around the lobby and surrounding areas.  I looked around and found a brick wall that looked pretty descent.  I had the girls stand in front of it for their photos.  

2.  Keep that shutter speed moving fast (I use "Drive Mode" on my camera, it is called Shutter Speed Priority on other brands) and have your dancer move around and show you some of their moves.  This can be more engaging and creative than typical posed photographs.  Your child will have more fun too and be more into the photographs! ( I was hoping to get a few more movement photographs from my little one, but the weather was so cold we just did more indoor fun shots instead.)

We started out with just a cute shot of the two of them together...
still turned out adorable.



Then, with my shutter moving quickly, I caught these two ballerinas engaging each other while I was trying to get those more "posed" photographs...I should have known better to just let have fun!  I always get the best shots that way!



  They were SO cute together!  Try experimenting with black and white as well as color.  It can add depth and feeling to your photographs that you may not have seen before.



3.  Set up a backdrop at home!  We took these photos in our home studio.  There are lot's of tutorials on Pinterest on how to make your own photo backdrop, or you can just hang up a blanket or some fabric.  I LOVE to use natural light so our backdrop it set up right next to the window.  


Have someone entertain and help keep your child engaged in the photo taking process.  Here, my dancer's grandma is behind me making sure she is all smiles.  :)



Try some different backgrounds.  

4.  Try a variety of "poses".  Have your dancer both stand up and sit down so that you wind up with a variety shots to choose from.




Don't forgot to try out black and white as well as color! 




5. Be flexible!  This is a lesson I have had to learn the hard way...but one that has truly paid off!  During our shoot my little one was SO distracted by a robin outside.  She kept going over toward the window, so when she did, I quick took advantage of her gazing out of the window.  I was so excited with the results I got!  Here is my final edited photo.



and one in black and white.


I hope you have a blast photographing your little dancer!