Pages

Slider

Saturday, July 12, 2014

Make a Splash! (i Heart Faces Photo Challenge!)

This month's iHeart Faces Photo Challenge theme is "Make a Splash!"  This theme was particularly difficult for me to capture with my daughter.  She suffers from Sensory Processing Disorder, which is an Autism spectrum disorder.  It causes her entire sensory system to be ULTRA sensitive to all sensory stimuli.   She feels continually bombarded by stimuli.  The resulting physiologic over-arousal and emotional dysregulation negatively impacts her daily functioning.   (A person suffering from sensory processing disorder might feel pain, for instance, when something or someone touches their skin or react extremely negatively to loud noises.)

Water and pools are one of these stimuli's for my daughter.  She is only 4 years old and truly WANTS to enjoy the water and play with other children, but most times the "splashing" and "unexpectedness" that come along with playing in the water overwhelms her and lead to mega meltdowns.  (Tears, shortness of breath, panic attacks)  So EVER getting a shot of her SPLASHING was going to be out of the question.



Nevertheless, I decided to sign her up for a week of swim lessons this summer so that she could get some more experience with water, in hopes of not seeing it as a threat.

On the last day of the class I decide to bring my camera with me in hopes of getting a few shots of her in the water.  Much to my surprise, on that last day of class, I found that she was finally having a FANTASTIC TIME in the water!  I couldn't believe my eyes!

I was so happy to have gotten this shot of actually participating in the class, practicing her kicks and ENJOYING HERSELF!  
I find myself everyday feeling so grateful to have been blessed with such a wonderful daughter who brings so much joy to our life.

I truly HEART this face of my little almost swimmer!

Debbie
Polka Dots & Bows Photography